www.suzukib-king.org
Hi and welcome to our Suzuki B-king forum , Please take time to read our "Rules , Information & discounts for users" section , Hope you enjoy your stay and tell all your B-king friends

.org.

www.suzukib-king.org
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

www.suzukib-king.orgLog in

www.suzukib-king.org

descriptionNew B-King Owner in MA EmptyNew B-King Owner in MA

more_horiz
Hello. Ever since buying my first bike (Honda 919 / Hornet 900) in 2007, I've wanted a B-King. I saw my first one when getting the Honda inspected and immediately wanted it. Of course I kept the Honda for a while, learning to ride and learning how to work on bikes.

I looked at B-Kings for sale now and then starting last year, and when my wife asked again in February I found one for sale in New Jersey. This one was advertised at 686 miles, like new. I bought it less than a week later and trailered it back to MA (tolls in NY/NJ are rediculous!).

Being that it was winter, I didn't get to ride it until a couple weeks later. I noticed that it was low on power, slower than my Honda. There were a few other issues as well, but that stood out the most. My guess is that the bike was either left in a moist environment for a while (shed).

The dealer I bought the bike from had to change the gauge cluster prior to selling it, but couldn't describe why. I'm assuming it had to do with condensation affecting operation, as a small hole was drilled by the 8 on the tachometer. Anyway, here are the issues I had and my solutions:

1. Horn, high beam, and other small items not working. Solution was to clean connection points (connector pins, switch contacts, etc.). There was corrosion on many connector pins and left side switchgear contacts. I'm surprised at the number of non-weatherproofed connectors on this bike.

2. Low power: secondary throttles not functioning, stuck closed. Solution was to replace the throttle body assembly. During replacement I learned that the cylinder 1 primary injector was not plugged into the harness. After replacement, the bike started and ran great.

3. Exhaust valve not functioning, corroded. Solution was to remove the actuator, use hammer to open the valve where it now remains stuck. I made a EXCVA simulator, but after an unexpected short after a few rides, that no longer worked. I built another, but it seems that the input to the ECU has been blown. I have ordered a WRT flasher to shut this light off, and I guess I'll start playing around with other tuning feature (Dave, thanks for setting up the discount!).

Those were the major issues which led to some regret about buying the bike, but now that it's running well I love it. It'd be nice if it was in better condition before, but now I know so much about everything on the bike maintenance will be easy.

descriptionNew B-King Owner in MA EmptyRe: New B-King Owner in MA

more_horiz
Updated my first post, hopefully will provide some useful into to others.

more_horiz
I live in a HIGH humidity area in SouthEast Texas and don't have the corrosion issue you describe.

Don't take offense to this but I hope your bike wasn't under water with the big hurricane that came through.
It was the first thing that came to mind because I worked at a dealership and it became common to see this, after our storms, for a year or so.
One other thing is the previous owner used a high pressure washer with soap to clean the bike.
This can force water into any connector and the gauge pod, thus promoting corrosion.

Glad you have the issues sorted...go enjoy the beast!

more_horiz
No offense taken at the suggestion of a flood bike, it crossed my mind many times. I don't feel it is though, based on the low level of corrosion present on aluminum parts, no residue in the intake box, throttle assembly, or switchgear.

I also forgot to add that I had to replace the cooling fans, as the bushings/bearings were resisting movement.

I'm definitely enjoying it. I didn't expect that a bike with this much power is this controllable and can still handle corners so well. I admit that I still have some nice chicken strips, but seeing as they are the original tires and the temps haven't hit 70°F yet, I'm sure they'll be gone soon.

more_horiz
Teksi wrote:
..... It'd be nice if it was in better condition before, but now I know so much about everything on the bike maintenance will be easy.

Congrats on the bike. If you don't already have one I'd suggest picking up a service manual. Personally I like having a hard copy on hand some folks prefer electronic.

more_horiz
How could a bike with 686 miles have these many issues????

more_horiz
The service manual was a great help, though it would've been much better if viewed on something other than my phone.

As for all the issues, poor storage is what I'm blaming. Either that or snorkels were attached and it was ridden through a river...

more_horiz
privacy_tip Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
power_settings_newLogin to reply